Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

7/21/15 Training Post

I have been taking it easy the last three weeks. I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday, so I have been cycling down. I do this to avoid getting injured from overtraining or being too tired for the race. Many running experts recommend doing this and a good way to do it is follow a training plan. I have used running coach Jeff Galloway's training plans from run Disney. There are training plans for 10 k, half marathon, and full marathons.

Speaking of injuries, I hurt my foot during a cross training session for this up coming race. I had tendonitis in my left foot, so I had to rest for a couple of days to get over my injury. It was incredibly painful and I had to use a cane to hobble around. I should have used crutches, but I didn't have any around the house. This injury was caused by the type of shoe I was using for my weight training. It didn't provide enough support for my foot, so thats what caused the injury. I bought some new shoes and some supports recommended by my doctor.

I spent three days without performing any type of workout. All I did was rest, ice, use compression, and elevate my foot (RICE). Using the RICE treatment, my foot healed up pretty quickly and I feel confident enough to participate in the race on Sunday. There is no lingering pain after my runs since my injury, so I feel like there won't be any issues with my foot. Normally, I try to beat my previous race time. However, I'm going to err on the side of caution for this race and take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment